Some Helpful Brexit Travel Tips from Martin Lewis...


Martin Lewis reveals his seven key tips for travel after Brexit (i News

Read more at:


  1. Unsurprisingly, the dark and dreary months of January and February are when most of us head online or even, shock horror, to a real-life travel agent to book a sunny escape. But with Brexit right around the corner, a very large spanner has been thrown in the works. There’s a lot more to think about if you’re planning a trip to Europe after 29 March. Thankfully, Money Saving Expert‘s Martin Lewis appeared on This Morning on Monday to give seven key tips for post-Brexit travel. Here’s what you’ll need to look out for before you head off for your annual dose of Vitamin D. 1. Will your passport still be valid? Currently you can travel to any EU country as long as your passport is valid until the day you return, but that will change if the UK leaves without a deal. Most EU countries, including Spain, Portugal, Italy, France and Germany, will need you to have at least six months left on your passport.

  2. You can check whether yours will be valid for a specific trip by entering your details here. If you need a new passport, remember it can take up to three weeks to renew. It’ll cost you £75.50 for an adult passport if you do it online, or more if you need it urgently. 2. What about your EHIC? You’ll need your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) to be valid to receive free healthcare while abroad in the EU, as you would from the NHS at home. However, in the case of a no-deal Brexit, it looks as though EHICs will no-longer be valid, so you would have to make your own insurance arrangements. 3. Book travel insurance early Lewis says you should book your travel insurance as soon as you book your trip, as part of the point of it is to protect you if something goes wrong before you go away.

4. Check insurance for flight disruption Lewis says it’s “impossible to say for sure” whether there’ll be disruption to flights after 29 March. The Government has offered reassuring words that everything will continue as normal, but the International Air Transport Association has said there could be issues.
The best thing to do is to check with individual insurers to see if they’ll cover delays or cancellations linked to Brexit, but either way you are entitled to either a full refund or an alternative flight from the airline. 5. Get car hire booked early As with the travel insurance, it’s best not to dilly dally when it comes to booking car hire, simply because it gets more expensive the longer you wait. 6. You may need an additional driving permit This is one a lot of people may not have thought of. Right now your standard UK driving licence lets you drive in the EU, no questions asked, but once again it’s the possibility of a no-deal Brexit which is causing problems. If the UK remains deal-less on 29 March, then you may need to buy an international driving permit from the Post Office before you go away. Thankfully they only cost £5.50, but it’s still an extra expense. 7. When to buy currency? Not even the Money Saving Expert knows everything. “Uncertainty is rife. The pound is yo-yoing. So it’s no surprise that my social media feeds are jammed with people asking me whether they should be buying their currency now or after Brexit,” he said.


“I’m afraid the answer is, sorry, I don’t know. And anyone who tells you they do is a liar.” There are a few things you can do to try to combat this, such as buying half of your currency now and half later, getting a locked-in rate, or ordering a specialist overseas card, which often allows you to dodge exchange rate fees.

Read more at:

Copyright (c) 2012 All rights reserved.Last Update December 11, 2019